COVID-19 in Hawaii (was DIY face masks)

UPDATED 7/20/2020

The mandatory 14 Day Quarantine for anyone arriving from out of state is still in place.  The pre-travel testing option has been postponed.

Requirements to wear masks in public are extended.  If you are in a building and/or less than 6 feet apart, wear a mask.

For more information on Hawaii's COVID-19 response please see https://hawaiicovid19.com/


As some of you may know, I was a chemical hygiene and safety officer as part of my collateral duties in a laboratory-based former work life.  I have taken PPE (personal protective equipment) training, including face masks and respirators, for roughly half my life.  I have mostly avoided using these things by designing the work environment and protocols to avoid the risk in the first place.

As many of you know, I also sew.

And I am still an Essential Worker, of the civil service variety.  My work brings me in potential contact with, among other fun substances, raw sewage.  So, yes, I still take that PPE training every year.  And yes I have made a stash of face masks for myself and my little ohana.  I get to wear mine to the office all day everyday.  Ohana will have them for emergencies.  My face masks are to minimize My snot and saliva from contaminating other people.  My face masks will not protect me from viruses.  That level of protection requires a respirator with appropriately designed cartridges.  

In February Water Environment Federation hosted a webinar on COVID-19.  One of the speakers was Christopher Brown, Occupational Safety and Health Agency, Department of Labor.   OSHA COVID-19 guidance for US workers and their supervisors, includes a list of applicable OSHA standards.  

Basically if you are sick refrain from contact with non-sick folks. The masks available at the pharmacy and the fabric ones we are making at home are to keep you (the wearer) from infecting others.  If you are not sick, wash your hands frequently, especially before touching your face, and avoid situations that would expose you to aerosolized virus, ie within 100 feet of the raw sewage in a waste water treatment plant.  Respirators size-rated for viruses should be limited to folks for who (1) they are specifically fitted, (2) have been extensively trained in their use, and (3) absolutely need them, aka medical personnel and waste managers.

For more on the efficacy of masks versus respirators please see guidelines from CDC, WHO, 3M, and HIOSH on using face masks and other respiratory PPE:
WHO Mask Usage Guidelines
3M Worker Health and Safety COVID-19 guide
 Hawaii operates an OSHA-approved State Plan covering most private sector workers and all state and local government workers: Hawaii Occupational Safety and Heath Division (HIOSH). Note the new guidance on Fit Tests if you are a respirator user.

So, I am making masks from my fabric stash following information gleaned from the above resources on how to use masks and the following Facebook groups:
https://web.facebook.com/groups/239047690599810/

https://web.facebook.com/groups/DIYFaceMaskforCOVID19/
https://web.facebook.com/groups/opensourcecovid19medicalsupplies/

I will post a picture essay of my efforts below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaiian Volcanoes are not part of the Ring of Fire

6 years on 0.6 acres

Tropical Gardening: Starting from Seed